Sunday, July 24, 2005

Important Site Update

Posted by AmishThrasher at 11:22 pm
ALT TEXT
Time:
Something I may be needing a little more of...
Well, my mid-year holidays are just about over, and this has implications for the site. Over the past couple of months, I have endeavoured to try to update the site at least once a day (sometimes more often, sometimes less). But as of tomorrow, I start back at uni and - coupled with work - I won't have anywhere near enough time to update the site everyday. Given this, I have decided to drop back how often I post articles here to maybe once a week. But there is some good news on the horizon in regards to the site too, click on for details.My reason for making this decision is simple: as it stands, this site is just a hobby. While I would honestly love to be able to earn a living by running the AmishThrasher, at this stage it isn't half popular enough to do that. Oh, and I won't get a degree when I'm done with it.

During the past week or so, you will have noticed that I've tried a number of different formats for articles, including the AmishTrasher Wrap, and my reason for trying these out is to try and find a format in which I can cover a variety of issues in a single weekly post. While on some weeks I may write a whole post on a single issue, it may also be that there are a number of things that I want to tackle. Again, given the time constraints I have, I'll see if doing more AmishThrasher Wraps and Digests (like the Public Transport Digest I did a while ago) is a better way of going about it. Given I have a fairly long commute, another thing that you may see start to appear is 'quick updates' that I put together on the bus ride to or from uni.

For those of you out there who read this site regularly, don't dispair about a lack of updates just yet. I have invited a number of my friends to contribute to the site, if they wish to do so. And if they do, I'll set up accounts for them - again, hopefully over the coming few weeks. What this will mean to you, the reader, is site that covers a broader variety of subject matter far more regularly than I could hope to provide. Personally, I think this is a very exciting development.

I mentioned that I wanted to try doing some Podcasts or video clips on the blog, which is something I unfortunately haven't had a chance to do as yet. I'm not a politician, and given this I'd liek to appologise to anyone who has looked forward to seeing these. The reason that they haven't appeared is that I need to find a good webhost upon which I can store these features. Don't worry though; I am keen to add these at some point in the future. That said, over the past month (beyond redesigning the layout of the site), I have added a number of new features, including headlines from BBC News, daily horoscopes, and a chatroom. The thing about some of these interactive features (like the message board) is that the more you use them, the better they become. My hope is that the AmishThrasher will eventually become an online community, rather than just a blog.

Over the past couple of days, I have changed the format for most of the archives covering the articles I've posted over the past few weeks so that it's easier to find what you are looking for. If you haven't checked out the archive yet, there is a lot of cool stuff there and it's well worth checking out between updates. The other sites that I have linked to - including Sterne and Anonymous Lefty - are also well worth checking out in between updates.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, if you come here and see that I haven't updated in a number of days, don't worry; the site hasn't 'gone dark'; it's just that for practical reasons I haven't been able to update as regularly as I would have liked. Like always, if you have any feedback about anything I've talked about